My ex and his gf are selling their home and he owes back child support so want me to sign an affidavit to close. Can they make me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My ex and his gf are selling their home and he owes back child support so want me to sign an affidavit to close. Can they make me?

My ex husband and his current gf are
trying to get me to sign something
regarding his back child support so they
can close on the sale of their home. I
don’t want to be involved in anything
they are doing and feel I should be left
out of it and don’t want to sign
anything. She is now threatening to take
me to court and have me pay her legal
fees to force me to sign. I don’t feel
any of this is my problem. What should I

Asked on January 19, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have NO legal obligation to file any affidavit for them: the law does not require you help them out by swearing or attesting to something (and that's what an affidavit is, essentially: swearing in writing to certain facts). They have no grounds to sue you for an affidavit, since you have no duty to provide one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption