How do I get full legal custody of my daughter if my estranged husband left us and moved out of state before our daughter was 1 year old?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get full legal custody of my daughter if my estranged husband left us and moved out of state before our daughter was 1 year old?

He has had no relationship with her and she is almost 5. I received a letter in the mail from him out of the blue recently. I want full physical and legal custody of her as he knows nothing about her. Should I respond to his letter or just file paperwork to finalize divorce and custody?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is difficult to give guidance on these type of matters with out being able to read the letter or fully understand the situation.  You need to understand that even though he has been estranged - and that is definitely a big deal in the eyes of the court - he still has rights as her father and obligations as well.  So I think that it may be best for you to speak with a lawyer about moving forward with the paperwork and having an attorney help with the response.  I can understand how angry you may be and rightfully so.  But you need to try and see that even if your relationship with this man has ended, hers will last her lifetime in one way or the other.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption