What to do if my estranged father is taking us to court for grandparent visitation rights for our 8 month old son?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my estranged father is taking us to court for grandparent visitation rights for our 8 month old son?

We haven’t spoken in months and he has made no effort to contact us since may of this year to see our son until recently. He has seen our son a total of 5 times since hes been born. He never calls to see him or see how he is. He is only doing this to prove that we shouldn’t “challenge” him. Does he have a case?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Some states in this country do allow for a grandparent to have some semblance of visitation rights with his or her grandchild under certain circumstances. Potentially your state might be one of them.

To safeguard your and most importantly your minor son's interests, I suggest that you and your spouse consult with a family law attorney retain a family law attorney to advise you on what your legal options are and then make a decision as to how you want to proceed as to the desires of the estranged father seeking visitation with your son and if granted, supervision as to your son with the estranged grandfather.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption