My employer’s time clock rolls my actual time back by 5 to 10 minutes almost everyday. It never is in my favor. Is this legal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My employer’s time clock rolls my actual time back by 5 to 10 minutes almost everyday. It never is in my favor. Is this legal?

I’m a bus driver with two morning runs and two afternoon runs. I have an exact clock in time, but do not ever have an exact clock out time as I get gas, clean bus, or have problems on run like construction holdups or parents not at bus stops which prevents exact end times daily. My employer’s time clock rolls my time back every shift, almost everyday by 5 to 10 minutes. It is NEVER in my favor. Is this legal and who do I call to force them to stop this habit?

Asked on October 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. Employer have to keep accurate time records and pay employees for all time worked. Rounding is not necessarily illegal--e.g. rounding to nearest tenth of an hour (nearest 6 minutes)--but has to be done in  a fair fashion: for example, if rounding to nearest 10th of an hour, working 1 - 3 minutes extra rounds down mathematically, but working 3 minutes and 1 second to 5 minutes 59 seconds rounds up. The rounding must be done so sometimes it's to the employee's benefit; if it is always to the employer's benefit, it is being done improperly.
If you lose 5 - 10 minutes per day, you lose around 42 minutes (on average) per week, or 2/3 of an hour of pay per week. You could contact the state department of labor to file a complaint about how your employer keeps time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption