What to do if my employer wants photos of all staff on the company’s website but I don’t want my photo posted?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer wants photos of all staff on the company’s website but I don’t want my photo posted?

We do not sign a waiver allowing the company to use our image. Do I have the right to refuse having a photo posted with no negative actions toward me? I do not post photos of myself on any online community so I believe I should be able to refuse my employer posting my photograph.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you have no right to refuse your employer's request. Regardless of what you do elsewhere, your employer has the right to set terms and conditions for employment; one of those terms or conditions could include posting your picture on the company website. If you do not do this, not only could you be fired, but you could be fired for cause (for violating company policy or a superior's instructions) and hence be ineligible for unemployment compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption