Can my employer make me take medication to keep my job?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make me take medication to keep my job?

My employer told me not return to work until I saw a doctor and was put on medication for stress.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will may be terminated for any reason, at any time--including that you are displaying too much stress at work, which is interfering with your or your coworkers' performance, or causing  distress and morale issues. While your employer is not a doctor and cannot prescribe the exact treatment, your employer may say to you that if you do not do something about the stress and keep bringing it into work, it will terminate you. So while the exact way the employer expressed this is incorrect, it does have a right to tell you to resolve or mitigate the problem or else risk losing your job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption