If my employer terminated my job saying I served a minor alcohol over a year ago, can they legally terminate me so far after the fact?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer terminated my job saying I served a minor alcohol over a year ago, can they legally terminate me so far after the fact?

The minor was a friend of mine and several other employees. This individual was served by many other employees as well. No one knew he was a minor. Can I collect unemployment?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If you do not have an employment contract of some kind, you are an employee at will. An employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason--including a year or more after the alleged violation or incident.

2) If the employer chooses to contest your application for unemployment, on the grounds it was termination for cause (e.g. for violating the law about drinking age; for violating their policy on serving minors), then you may not be able to get unemployment compensation. It depends on whether they choose to characterize this as a "for cause" termination or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption