If my employer paid me double paychecks and asked fme to pay one back, w ill I go to jail if I don’t?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer paid me double paychecks and asked fme to pay one back, w ill I go to jail if I don’t?

For a couple weeks my employer paid me double paychecks. Knowingly, I said nothing because it was an error and I thought they wouldn’t notice. Eventually they did take notice then later terminated me for

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could go to jail for this: "knowingly" is the key word. If you know that the money doesn't belong to you or that you are not entitled to it, but you took it anyway, that is theft. If you repay, they will likely treat it as an error; but if you don't and they take it to the authorities, you could face charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption