What to do if my employer is withholding my commission?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer is withholding my commission?

This has been going for 4 months. They keep not paying it out and then putting it on the next check when I get paid. Now it’s been 3 pay periods and I have yet to recieve any of it. They keep telling me that they will take care of it but nothing gets done. I don’t think I am recieving what I should because they keep lumping what they owe me onto the next checks which gets sucked out in taxes. Is it legal for them to do that? Who do I go to about this?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, an employer is required to pay his or her employee money earned by the employee on posted dates per charts in plain view at the work place.

If you have not been paid for a period of four (4) months commissions that you are owed, I would speak with your supervisor about what is owed and when it will be paid. If the answer is not acceptable to you, then your options are to make a complaint with your local department of labor and/or consult with a labor attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption