What to do if my employer is refusing to send me the FMLA form?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer is refusing to send me the FMLA form?

I thought this was a federal law? I am out of sick due to recent hospitalization.. thanks

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

FMLA is a federal law. Assuming that you and your employer are both covered by it--

Employer: at least 50 employees within a 75 mile radius

You: you've worked at least 12 months for the employer, and have worked at least 1250 hours during the prior 12 months

--then you have the right to take unpaid FMLA leave, and the employer may not prevent you from doing so simply by refusing to provide forms. Below are links two helpful fact sheets put out by the U.S. Department of Labor, detailing eligibility as well as employee rights and responsibilities. If your employer will not provide leave or retaliates against you for requesting  leave, you could file a complaint with your state department of labor or the U.S. Department of Labor, or retain your own  attorney to bring legal action.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption