My employer has been paying me less than agreed upon per hour and refuses to deal with it. What should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My employer has been paying me less than agreed upon per hour and refuses to deal with it. What should I do?

Agreed on 10 per hour in both interviews and they’ve been paying me 8 per hour. I’ve tried to get it figured out and nothing has been done.

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Did you have your rate or wage set in a written employment contract which, by its plain terms, guaranteed you that pay for a set period of time (e.g. a one-year contract)? If you did, you can enforce the terms of that contract against the employer, including by lawsuit if necessary; but if you did not have a written employment contract, you are an "employee at will" and your employer could set, change, etc. you pay at will--at any time, for any reason, without prior notice or warning, and going back on promises. Without a contract, the employer has 100% control over your pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption