What can I do if my employer fired me stating that I was not a good fit for the job?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my employer fired me stating that I was not a good fit for the job?

They did not enforce lunch periods when I was there and at times I took my lunch break 7 to 8 hours into my shift. Additionally, they stated that my production was not good enough to which I would have lunch at my desk. While clocked out for lunch, I will still work through my lunch in order to satisfy their demands.

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First of all, your lunch break issue has nothing to do with the circumstances of your dischage. If you want, you can contact your state's department of labor and file a claim it the law has been broken.
As for your termination, unless you had protection under an employment contract, union agreement or company policy, you are probably out of luck. Also, your treatment cannnot have been the result of employment discrimination or retaliation.
The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will" which menas that an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. It also means that it can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption