My employer disclosed information about my medical status to others in the company. I found it in an email. What can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My employer disclosed information about my medical status to others in the company. I found it in an email. What can I do?

I have been dealing with depression and anxiety and have intermittent FMLA.
New Link Destination
day I found an email from my boss to others in the company that I am mentally
unstable and they were right to ‘get rid of me’. I recently was demoted and my
pay and hours cut. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on August 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The are several different possible causes of action or claims, such as:
1) Disability-based discrimination or harassment--employee may not harass or discriminate against employees to mental conditions, but must rather make "reasonable accommodations" if the employee requests them.
2) Defamation, if anything in the communication they sent out about you is untrue.
3) Violation of your privacy rights.
It would be worth your time to consult with an employment law attorney, since you may be entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption