What should I do if my elderly father is accused of threatening to shoot his neighbor.?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my elderly father is accused of threatening to shoot his neighbor.?

He didn’t have a gun at the time but the police came and took my father’s hunting rifles and the neighbor’s handguns. He argued with the neighbor but said he didn’t threaten to shoot him. How can I help him prepare for the defense in court? This neighbor has piled snow, thrown leaves in their yard, put trash barrel on their property and continued to make their lives more difficult knowing they are elderly and unable to perform many tasks.

Asked on September 1, 2014 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would get your Father an attorney as soon as possible.  There were guns in the home and you need to speak with the attorney about filing a civil and criminal complaint against the neighbor for harassment.  While it might appear retaliatory since he filed a complaint, he still has to prove that he was threatened and your Dad is going to need rebuttal witnesses himself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption