How to determine visitation and child support when one parent relocates?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to determine visitation and child support when one parent relocates?

My domestic partner and I have decided to get a divorce. We have a 13 month old together; I was the birth parent. We chose to work opposite schedules so that he could stay out of day care. She watches him at my house. I pay for absolutely everything with him. Then she told me that she is moving in 3 weeks 2 hours away. She told me that she was going to take him 3 days a week and she reluctantly said she would help with child care but no more than $200 a month. I now do not have a baby sitter and am forced to put him in day care. This is not what is best for our son. What are my rights? If I go to court, is there a chance he could get taken from me and things could backfire?

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, your request for custody and the dissolution of your registered domestic partnership can be completed in one case together.  Keep in mind that if you are registered domestic partners, then half your wages are community property until the date of separation, half your debt during the partnership is community debt, separate property brought into the partnership remains separate property, and each of you have equal right to the management and control of community property.

Second, with young children (like 13 month olds) there is an unwritten rule that it is in the best interests of the child to be with the birth mother the majority of the time.  So, your chances of having joint custody, but a larger share of the custodial time is very real.  That said, there is a presumption in California law that parents have a right to move away with their children.  See Family Code 7501; IRMO Lamusga (2004) 32 Cal.4th 1072.  The court would weigh the detriment one way against the detriment the other way.  A custodial arrangement where the child travels back and forth is feasible but is hard on such a young child.  You will go to required mediation and if you don't reach an agreement, the recommendation of the mediator will be presented to the court along with your testimony and any legal arguments.

Third, if you were registered domestic partners, you owe one another spousal support just like hetero married couples.  I am not sure if there is a discrepacny in income between you and your partner, but one of you is most likely going to have to pay support.  If it is requested by one of you, first there will be a temporary support amount during the pendency of the proceedings--followed by a permananent amount determined at trial by a judge.  The temporary amount is determined by the same computer program that calculates child support.

Fourth, depending on the custodial arrangement, one of you may owe the other child support.  The more custodial time you get, the less child support you pay.

I think you can see that you are about to jump into some fairly contentious and complicated matters.  It is possible that you two can come to an agreement on all of these items, but either way you should really hire an attorney.  Most divorce attorneys would be able to help you out--because the law governing domestic partnerships largely mirrors the law for hetero spouses.

If you are in the Los Angeles or Ventura County Areas, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption