What to do if my dog bit a child and I had no home insurance at the time so I offered to pay doctor bills but now I’m being sued?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my dog bit a child and I had no home insurance at the time so I offered to pay doctor bills but now I’m being sued?

When the victim heard that I didn’t have insurance they told me not to worry about it since the expense was so little that it didn’t make a difference. However, I have just received notice of a lawsuit. What is the limit of my liability and what can the amount of damages amount to? The bite was very minimal.

Asked on February 25, 2015 under Personal Injury, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your liability for the child's injury includes compensation for the medical bills and compensation for pain and suffering.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports which document tha nature and extent of the child's injuries.

If this is the first incident of the dog biting someone, you are liable for negligence.  If the dog has a history of biting, you are liabile for strict liability.

Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable dog owner would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

Strict liability is liability imposed regardless of whether or not due care was exercised.

If there is a judgment in the case against you, it can be enforced through a wage garnishment.  A lien could also be placed on your property which means you would not be able to sell your house until the lien is removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption