If my husband was awarded the house in our divorce, what are my options to get my name off of the mortgage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was awarded the house in our divorce, what are my options to get my name off of the mortgage?

He received was the house but needed to refinance it. His credit score is low, he has a lien on the house that I was unaware of, and he owes more on it than what it’s worth. Yet, my name is still on it and it’s on my credit report. In order for me to move on financially with my life, this needs to changed. We divorced almost a year ago.

Asked on December 22, 2015 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since your ex-husband has been unable to re-finance, he can ask the lender to allow what is known as a "novation" to remove your name. While this is rarely allowed, it's still worth trying. A novation could be accomplished by your ex-spouse proving that he has paid the mortgage without you.  If he is current and has never been late with the payments, the lender may agree to the removal of your name from the mortgage.  Also, the lender may allow a novation if your ex-husband "buys" your release by making a substantial payment to reduce the principal mortgage balance.
As stated above a novation is not typically allowed, and that plus the fact that your ex owes more on the house than it's worth, the lender will be hesitant to let you off the financial hook. However, it can't hurt to ask.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption