Wht to do if my daughter was charged with a Class b misdemeanor theft of property?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do if my daughter was charged with a Class b misdemeanor theft of property?

The person that was with her, stole merchandise from a dept store worth $50. However, she had no idea the crime was being committed; she had already left the store before the crime was committed. Is there a way that the guilty party sign statements stating that she takes full responsibilities and have the charges dropped from my daughter?

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is not unusual for one party to take full responsibility for an offense.  However, it will be up to the prosecutor to accept it.  If the other person lays out a plausible story, then they are more likely to accept the affidavit and let your daughter off.  If the story does not fit the offense report, it may only draw more negative attention to your daughter's case.  What you may want to do is hire an attorney to get the report and to coordinate with the other girl (or her attorney).  They can then help you or the other girl draft the affidavit so that it has a better impact on the eventual prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption