If my daughter was assaulted by her coach at college, what is my next step?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter was assaulted by her coach at college, what is my next step?

It happened to other students as well. Their lawyer has reached out to us. I have a meeting with the school officials. Should I ask their lawyer to attend the meeting with me, or should Isearch for my own personal injury attorney? Should I have a lawyer attend at all? In Baltimore City County, MD.

Asked on November 11, 2010 under Personal Injury, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Whose lawyer has reached out to you? The College's lawyer?  DO NOT speak with him or her at all on this matter and yes, hire your own attorney as soon as you can to attend the meeting with the school officials with you.  The coach is an employee of the College.  He is their agent here and their attorneys are looking to minimize damages.  However his contract works with the college and whether or not they have to hire him a different attorney is not your concern.  These are different ends of the playing field and you need to protect yourself and your daughter from everyone who may have an adverse interest to yours.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption