If my daughter is 22 and has a lot of health issues, how can I establish a Trust for her without jeopardizing her medical and financial assistance?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter is 22 and has a lot of health issues, how can I establish a Trust for her without jeopardizing her medical and financial assistance?

She is currently waiting for SS disability. She’s on medical assistance and also receives financial aid for school. I want to establish some kind of account or Trust fund that will provide some type of investment income. How can I protect this account? And, if I do this, would I need to report something to medical assistance? Her medical condition really won’t allow for her to be without good medical coverage. I’m afraid that I’ll do something that will cost her that insurance.

Asked on September 3, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with an attorney who handles estate planning in person as to the particulars here.  There are many nuances in Trust and Estate laws and each state has they own set of rules allowing a person to "earn" a certain amount of income in order to be able to qualify for Medicaid Benefits.  There are many types of trusts and there are some that are specific to asset protection such as an Irrevocable Income-Only Medicaid Asset Protection Trust (IIOMAPT). They could indeed be the avenue you wish to pursue to protect your daughter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption