What kind of trouble can I get into if my daughter got into my tattoo kit and gave her friend a tattoo?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of trouble can I get into if my daughter got into my tattoo kit and gave her friend a tattoo?

I bought a tattoo kit to practice and possibly become an apprentice. My daughter got into my tattoo kit while I was away. She gave her friend a tattoo and her friend gave her a tattoo. Both tattoos were without consent. The girls parents are threatening legal action. What can I do to get out of this problem? What kind of trouble will I get in?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could be sued by the girl's family for medical costs (e.g. the cost of tatoo-removal procedures, which can be very expensive) and possibly for pain and suffering (since the removal process can be painful, I've been given to understand). The claim could be based on negligent supervison, especially if the girls are younger (e.g. not teens, who are harder to keep out of things like this--and who *should* have at least some common sense): that is, that you caused injury by not supervising your child correctly. Also, parents are generally liable for the deliberate actions of their minor children.

If the girl received an infection from the process, you could be sued for costs or injuries associated with that.

It is not impossible you could be reported to child welfare authorities, who might investigate to see if you negligently endangered your child in some way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption