What to do if you have an accident in a loaner car?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if you have an accident in a loaner car?

My daughter was in a fender bender in a parking lot 2 years ago when she was 20 years old. She was driving a “loaner car” from a rental car company which was provided to her by an auto insurer. She was backing out of her parking space in the loaner car and did not see anyone when looking over her right shoulder. She was 1/2 way out of her space when a fast advancing car did not yield but tried to swerve around her when she hit it. No police-no fault. The other driver sent a $1700 repair bill to the rental car company; it decided to pay it and is ow asking my daughter for reimbursement. However, the company never called to get her rebutall facts. Does she owe this reimbursement?

Asked on April 8, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First thing to do: check the rental car agreement or contract your daughter had signed: many make the driver liable for all costs or damages, and, if so, then she has to pay--she contractually agreed to.

Second thing: check her auto insurance at the time: it may have covered her while driving rentals or loaners, in which case her then-insurer should pay.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption