What to do if my daughter and I were both charged with battery?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my daughter and I were both charged with battery?

My daughter’s roommates moved out of the apartment but is still on the lease. She moved all of her personal belongings with her. Every time she comes back to the apartment, she takes my daughter things or destroy something in the apartment. One night at 1:30 am after she left from the bar, she and 6 of her friends came by the apartment. I shoved her and told her to leave the apartment because I’m was sick of her stealing from daughter. Her boyfriend pushed me and my daughter came to my defence. The police came and issued a notice to appear in court for my daughter and me. What will happen next? Can this be dropped because we were defending our personal belongings?

Asked on August 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you are subject to a criminal matter where you could be jailed or fined if convicted, it is best that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to defend you and your daughter as soon as possible. You do not want to represent yourself on your own. An attorney in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption