My daughter and I hold duel nationality, UK and USA, can a judge in Illinois order surrender of the UK passports.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My daughter and I hold duel nationality, UK and USA, can a judge in Illinois order surrender of the UK passports.

This may arise in a pending divorce case my daughte is 14 years of age.

Asked on June 19, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Courts are always concerned about child abduction between ex spouses.  But just because you hold passports does not mean that you will be asked to surrender them.  I assume your potential ex also holds a passport. 

If there is a realistic fear of impending abduction a party may petition the court to surrender the child's passport.  If the party making the petition has proved to the court that their fear is realistic then the court will seal the passport in the court file.  Any future requests to travel abroad with the child must then be made in a court hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption