How can I find out the terms of my grandfather’s Will?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out the terms of my grandfather’s Will?

My dad told the family, years ago when we were younger, that my grandfather had changed his Will and left my sisters and myself money and oil rigs. Once we reacher 21 one years of age it would be ours to get, We are over that age but he will not tell us the attorney’s name or even if there is one. He will not even tell us the location of granddad’s Will. How we can go by receiving any information? Do you think you can help or lead us to the place where we can get help?

Asked on August 30, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Is your Grandfather alive or is he deceased?  I am going to assume that he has passed.  If there were a Will and it was indeed probated then it is on file in the Probate Court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  ANd it is a public record so you can review it.  The file should also state what was done in the case you and your sisters were minors or had yet to be able to inherit.  A final accounting would show that.  Start there.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption