If my dad recently passed away, is his second wife entitled to everything?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad recently passed away, is his second wife entitled to everything?

She was named benificiary to his life insurance, Roth IRA, and retirement. All money put into accounts were from the hard work of my parents and there 40+ year marriage to provide for their family. My mom passed away 7 years ago. New wife (6 years) brought nothing finance-wise to the marriage. Is she really entitled to it all?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Steven Fromm / Steven J Fromm & Associates, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Can you say prenuptial agreement. If your dad failed to enter into one with his new spouse, he did not care to give you an inheritance. The accounts you state pass outside the will to the named beneficiary, so even if the will provided for you it is trumped by the beneficiary designations. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption