What to do regarding a house that I inherited if it has someone with lifetime rights living in it?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a house that I inherited if it has someone with lifetime rights living in it?

My dad passed when I was in 6th grade; I am now 19. He was not married to my mother, nor do I believe their relationship would constitute a common law marriage in SC since it was clear my dad had no intentions of marrying her and they did not act like a married. In the sense that they slept in different rooms, he cooked and she didn’t do anything really other then work a few random jobs. The problem I have is that in the will it states she is allowed to live in the home I currently live in until she gets married, moves out, or passes away; but she can not let anyone else live there nor sell it. But she had my uncle live there for over 4 years and she is letting her dog ruin the house. Can I do anything?

Asked on April 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Obtain probate counsel to petition the court to administer the estate of your father, yourself appointed administrator of the esatate, and have the woman removed from the property for violating the terms of the life estate given her by your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption