What can I do if my dad passed away 5 months ago and his wife is refusing to tell me if he left a Will or if I was included in the Will?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my dad passed away 5 months ago and his wife is refusing to tell me if he left a Will or if I was included in the Will?

I am his eldest daughter born before his marriage. Do I have any legal rights as his biological daughter?

Asked on December 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Of course you have legal rights!  It just needs to be clarified that you were acknowledged as his daughter during his lifetime, correct?  But understand that it is not an automatic right to inherit from any parent but generally speaking you need to be specifically disinherited under a Will. And if he and his wife held everything jointly there may be nothing separate for you to inherit.  Jointly held property passes to the other spouse upon death.  The best thing that you can do is to hire an attorney on a flat rate basis to write a letter on your behalf to your step mother.  If you think that there was a Will you should get a copy if you inherit or not. And if it was already offered for probate then you can view it as it is a public record.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption