If my dad passed away and left my mother nothing in his Will, is she still entitled to anything?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad passed away and left my mother nothing in his Will, is she still entitled to anything?

They were still married but he left my brother power of attorney.

Asked on June 11, 2015 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she is entitled to something. The fact is that one spouse cannot disinherit the other completely.  This is due to something known as the "spousal elective share" statute. This is a law that gives a surviving spouse the right to claim 1/3 of the estate even it they are completely disinherited in their spouse's Will. The rationale behind the law is to protect the surviving spouse from being left destitute. That having been said, while the right to an elective share is a statutory right, it must be properly and timely claimed or the right to collect will be forfeited.

At this point, you mother should consult directly with a local probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption