If my dad has to go to jail, will they allow him to have his medications?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad has to go to jail, will they allow him to have his medications?

My dad is behind in his restitution (I’m not 100% sure what its for but I believe it’s from an unsuccessful business situation and there was a falling out). Anyway, he has a lot of physical pain and back restrictions from past surgeries and from having cancer. He also has bipolar disorder.

Asked on October 23, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He is allowed to have medication but it must be carefully controlled and I believe it needs to go through the nurse at the prison where he is located.  Contact the warden's office and inquire as to next steps.  The institution cannot withold necessary medication but it must be strictly administered. It may require a doctor's directive to the warden in order to begin the paperwork trail and process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption