If my dad died few weeks ago, what documents do I need to get his death certificate and what I need to do next?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad died few weeks ago, what documents do I need to get his death certificate and what I need to do next?

I don’t know if he left last Will. I am not an American citizen but I am planning to come to the US to sort out everything.

Asked on March 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Contact the funeral home or crematory that took care of your Dad's final arrangements.  They routinely obtain several copies of the Death Certificate and can provide them to you.  If the State medical examiner or coroner was involved, they too can help you obtain copies of the Death Certificate.  If these sources cannot provide copies, you can order copies from the State - just search for "death certificate" in the appropriate state and you will find the necessary location.

If you need to gather and disburse your Dad's assets and belongings, you may need to consult a lawyer in his state.  If the assets need to be transferred by a legal document, you will need help to do that.  If you could locate a close friend of your Dad, he or she may be able to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption