If my dad died 15 months ago without a Will, how do I get themoney that he left in his bank account?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad died 15 months ago without a Will, how do I get themoney that he left in his bank account?

The bank is charging a monthly $12 service fee for account being inactive. They won’t stop taking this money and say I can’t get it with out power of attorney. He died in NE; I live in SC. How can I get my dad’s money out of this bank? They have frozen his account, but continue to send statements and charge him.

Asked on August 29, 2011 South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  First of all a Power of Attorney dies with the person for whom it is enacted.  So they are incorrect on that front. Was his estate ever probated?  The bank account is part of his estate and you need to go through the probate courts in Nebraska in order to obtain the authority to clear out the account.  Is there is no Will then he died intestate and the intestacy laws in the state of Nebraska apply.  That means that if you have siblings they should receive a share of the estate.  Every state has a Small Estate proceeding process so if there is not much in his estate it should not be much for you to do to have yourself appointed and clear out the account.  The money will be written out to the estate of your Father.  Then you will have to open an account to deposit it (this is a general rule and really how your family situation is may impact this).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption