If I got charged with DV, what can we do to get it dropped?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got charged with DV, what can we do to get it dropped?

My dad and I got in a dispute. I am 18 he is mid 40’s. It started as an argument for about 5 minutes and he eventually jumped out of his bed, getting in my face yelling at me. I told him, “Get the F out of my face”. He then got as close to where our noses touched and started screaming louder. I felt cornered and I pushed him. Not aggressively but hard enough to move him a foot or so away from me. He then ran at me and we fought. The injuries were all on me. He slammed my head into a headrest, grabbed me by the neck and bit my finger. Yet he called the police saying I started the fight. I have a warrant for my arrest (domestic battery). What can we do to get this dropped?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Criminal cases are little harded to 'get dropped' than civil cases.  In civil cases, a plaintiff can just file a motion to dismiss and the case is gone.  However, in criminal cases, the final decision is with the prosecutor on whether or not to go forward.  Each prosecutor's office tends to have different view points about victims dropping cases.  Some will "pick up the charges" and continue with a prosecution, despite a victim's wishes.  Other will take into consideration a victim's input.  So the starting point should be for your dad to contact the prosecuting office to set up a meeting with the prosecutor assigned to your case.  He can explain how he feels about the case and that he would not like it to go forwad.  If he desires to drop the charges the prosecutor can honor his request.  Instead of immediately dropping charges, some prosecutors require defendant's to participate in a diversion program whereby they complete some type of counseling to address their issues before they will drop the charges.  This is usually the best way to try to get charges dropped. 

In the end, however, if the prosecutor still won't drop the charges, you may have to find a criminal attorney to help you resolve the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption