If my current employer put me on a month probation for a mistake that I made, can my benefits be taken away?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my current employer put me on a month probation for a mistake that I made, can my benefits be taken away?

They mentioned it would determine whether it would keep on a full-time status or demoted to part-time. Now I qualify for benefits and everyone has receive their open enrollment forms and I have received nothing. I asked my manager about this and she said because the probation they still weren’t sure and i would find out this week. Open enrollment is now closed. I have worked as full-time over the 90 day period and upon looking at my portal I have indeed been demoted to part-time without notice. I was told I had made an improvement in my work and everything was looking great and now this. Could they be avoiding have to give me benefits?

Asked on August 26, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Arizona is an at-will employment state, which means you can be fired for any reason, or no reason, except for an illegal, discriminatory reason.  In this case, you made a mistake, and your boss put you on probation and demoted you to part-time status.  If they decide to take you back, and you do not like the demotion and the fact that you do not qualify for health benefits, you do not have to return to work.  It works both ways.  Either party can terminate the employment "at will."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption