What to do if my credit card company gave info out on my account to an unaurthrized user?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my credit card company gave info out on my account to an unaurthrized user?

I have an account with a card company and my dad called in and they gave him the bill balance on my account. He does not have any authorization on the account.

Asked on April 9, 2012 under General Practice, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What the credit card company did is illegal--however, the  law does not necessarily provide compensation for every illegal act. Rather, you can recover compensation if you suffer some actual loss or injury due to an illegal or improper action. If your father uses this information in some improper fashion, causing you some injury or loss, you could potentially then sue the credit card company for compensation; but until you suffer some loss, there is effectively nothing to do from a legal point of view.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption