What to do about medical marijuana and a possession ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about medical marijuana and a possession ticket?

My cousin, my friend and I were hanging out in my friends car eating food. A police officer walked up to the window and told us it smelled like pot. My friend showed him his medical marijuana license, and the officer told us all to step out of the car while he searched it. The cop took my friends marijuana and all his marijuana paraphernalia, including his medical card. He than wrote every one of us possession of marijuana tickets and my friend a drug paraphernalia ticket. Will this hold in court?

Asked on October 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible about what happened. If one of you had a medical marijuana card and that person had possession of the marijuana, then what law enforcement did was wrong in not only citing all but also with taking the items taken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption