What to do if my cousin is trying to sell my late uncle’s house but needs me to sign off?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my cousin is trying to sell my late uncle’s house but needs me to sign off?

My cousin is trying to sell a house owned by our deceased uncle, who had has a Will drawn up 4 years before he died at age 88. The last time I saw him in the nursing home, he was suffering dementia. My cousin told me that he gave her everything before he went into the nursing home, so I never questioned not being included in any Will. She has rented out his house for several years and now wants to sell it but the title company told her that she needs a quit claim deed from me. She never probated the Will and doesn’t want to pay the expense to probate it now. I don’t want to sign anything right now.

Asked on January 12, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your name is on the title, your uncle could not leave it 100% to your cousin even if he wanted to.  You are under no obligation to sign anything.  If you are so inclined, consider selling your interest in the house to your cousin.  Your cousin really should probate the will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption