If my company wants to deduct money from my paycheck for the reason that I damaged a company truck, is that possible?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my company wants to deduct money from my paycheck for the reason that I damaged a company truck, is that possible?

What rights do I have? What can I do? It was an honest accident.

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that absent an employee's consent, an employer cnnot make deductions from an employee's paycheck. However, this does not mean that the employee cannot be held liable for certain expenses, etc. So long as long as it was part of exisiting company policy or other controlling agreement (union or emploment contract, etc) then an employee can be held liable for cetain costs. However, a landlord must either have the employee in question voluntarily pay it or sue the employee for it.

However, to be sure of your rights, seek out a consultation with a local attorney as to specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption