If my company is being sold and I refuse employment with the new company for cause, am I quitting or being terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my company is being sold and I refuse employment with the new company for cause, am I quitting or being terminated?

The company is being sold and need to review my options with regard to new

employment. he new company has a bad reputation and id offering me less money. Am I chattel being sold with the company? I have requested a transfer to be able to stay with the old company but was refused the position. If I turned down an offer from the new owners have I

Asked on January 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you refuse employment, you are quiting or resigning. It's not that your "chattel," but if the company (or at least the part you work for) is sold, the new company/buyer takes it over--you work for them, because they took over what you work for. Therefore, if you refuse to work for them--which is certainly your right--you are quiting your employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption