My company has a mileage reimbursement agreement with their employees.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My company has a mileage reimbursement agreement with their employees.

My company has a mileage reimbursement agreement with their employees. The trouble is, they don’t consistently pay in a timely manner. Some employees get theirs on time, while others can wait over a month to get theirs. What options do employees have to ensure timely reimbursement payment?

Asked on August 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are no good options. If the company is not paying within the agreed-upon time, which would be--
* The time specified for reimbursement in a contract or agreement, if you have one covering this; or
* The time specified in some written policy statement or manual, if there is one; or
* The time established by past practice or precedent (what has been, and when reimbursement has been in the past; past practice can establish the expectations of the parties governing payment)
--then you could sue for the money for "breach of contract" for violating that explicit or implicit agreement. But that's the only option to compel payment: a lawsuit vs. the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption