If my college roomate had his whole family living in the apartment at some point and the landlord failed to evict him, can I break my contract?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my college roomate had his whole family living in the apartment at some point and the landlord failed to evict him, can I break my contract?

For the last 3 months, my roommate has had his whole family living in the

apartment it broke the lease agreement I was forced to live with him and his

family, is it grounds to break my lease? He has personally threatened me

in the past.

Asked on March 14, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It may be grounds to break your lease, under the theory that by not taking action against a disorderly tenant (the threat) and an excessive, illegal number of occupants, the landlord has denied you the "quiet enjoyment" to which you are entitled, particularly if you have provided the landlord written notice of the issue. The problem is, this ground for early termination of a lease is very subjective, and if sued for the rent you'd otherwise owe by the landlord, a judge could rule that because the problem was what your own roommate was doing, and not any action of the landlord him/herself, that you were not entitled to break the lease but instead should have sued your roommate for his disturbances. So while you may be able to safely break your lease under these circumstances, you cannot absolutely count or rely on being able to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption