What is considered to be compensable work time?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is considered to be compensable work time?

My company will pay for company owned vehicle oil changes however it is my “responsibility” to do this on my own time. I’m a non-exempt employee. Is this legal?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the vehicle is owned by the company and you are directed to take it  in for an oil change, that would be work time, and hence compensible--you are doing something you are directed to do by your employer, for its benefit. Therefore, if you are an hourly employee, you should be paid for this time--though if you are salaried, they do not need to pay you extra for taking the vehicle in.

If the car is your own and you receive a company car allowance or other reimbursement for it, then any maintenance you choose to do is on your own time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption