If my client is 60 days past due on their payment and I’ve emailed them repeatedly with no response, what should I do?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my client is 60 days past due on their payment and I’ve emailed them repeatedly with no response, what should I do?

No response from their accounting department. Do I have the right to hault projects that I am currently working on?

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It would have helped some what to have some of the particulars of what you do and what type of clients that you have to give guidance here.  It could have some bearing if say there are third parties that benefit from your work or could be harmed if you stopped.  Generally speaking, your contract will govern what your rights and obligations are here along with the contract law in your state.  Halting work will definitely get their attention and move the matter in one way or another to conclusion.  I just don't want to see you being sued for breach of contract even though it seems that they may have already breached (which makes it a whole different ball game).  Seek legal hep in your area and bring the documents with you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption