What to do if my child’s grandmother took our daughter to get professional pictures taken without our permission or knowledge?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my child’s grandmother took our daughter to get professional pictures taken without our permission or knowledge?

After her father and I found out about the pictures we specifically asked her not to distribute them in any way, shape, or form. Even though we asked her not to, she went behind our backs yet again and sent them out to people. We weren’t even told who she sent them too. After all of this we told her that she was not going to be allowed to watch our daughter again and she wouldn’t be allowed to take her picture ever again. She now wants to take us to court for the “grandparents right act”. Is there anything we can do about the pictures? And, is there anyway to fight against her in court? Would we have a case?

Asked on December 2, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you have written about essentially is an internal family dispute as to photographs of your child sent out to third parties that assuming they were appropriate does not lend itself to a legal action.

If you do not want the grandparent having any unsupervised contact with your child, you can simply refuse access of the grandparent to the child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption