If my child is tortured by 2 minors, can I get legal assistance to pursue a case against the criminals?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my child is tortured by 2 minors, can I get legal assistance to pursue a case against the criminals?

My child got tortured by 2 minor persons and they grabbed his neck for a while and he got fainted due to insufficient respiration. His leg was injured. Can I register a petition for this? Will I get the proper result for this issue?

Asked on October 7, 2019 under Criminal Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can look to press charges against minors--they are not officially exempt from the criminal law--but it's not likely much will happen: minors are treated very leniently by the criminal justice system. My own daughter was attacked by another teenager with a shovel and suffered a serious concussion, but despite finding her attacker guilty, the court declined to punish her--no community service, no fine, no jail time, etc. So while you have the right to press charges, nothing may happen from it.
If your son was injured, you could also sue the minors' parents for his injuries and any medical costs you incurred. A minor's parents or legal guardians are liable for the injuries their minors inflict.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption