What can I do if my car was wrecked in an accident and the body shop that did the work did not fix everything?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my car was wrecked in an accident and the body shop that did the work did not fix everything?

I took it to another shop and they worked with the old shop to pay for everything that either was not fixed or broken as a result of their failure to fix it. I drove the car for a year with it broken before taking it to the another shop. Can I sue the first shop for negligence if they are already willing to pay for everything? By paying for everything, does that prove they knew they were negligent?

Asked on March 3, 2015 under Business Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What would you be suing for, if they are already willing to pay? All you can get in a case like this are typically the repaircosts, so if they pay to have it repaired, you seem to be getting what you are entitled to. And no--an offer to pay does not prove or establish fault (often, someone will offer to pay to avoid the headache and cost of being sued, or as goood "PR").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption