If my car was repossessed and I had a lot of personal property inside, can the towing companykeep it?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was repossessed and I had a lot of personal property inside, can the towing companykeep it?

The police were not involved. I had a laptop/shoes/clothes, etc. I was told that I could only have my property if I paidthe repo charges of over $500. Can they keep my property like that?

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your car was repossessed due to your failure to make its monthly payments and you had personal items inside the vehicle at the time of repossession, the storage company for your vehicle was required to inventory the items in the vehicle and to return them to you upon request.

I would contact the towing company and make arrangements for the pick up of your laptop, clothes shoes and the like. You are not required to pay the repossession charges to get these items.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption