What can I do if my car was parked on the street the person who hit my car ran on foot and there is no insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my car was parked on the street the person who hit my car ran on foot and there is no insurance?

My car was parked on the street when he hit my car, he also hit another vehicle too he ran on foot. There was an open bottle of alcohol in his car and an axe that was found by the police. He was not the owner of the vehicle but he does live in the same house as the owner of the vehicle. The owner’s insurance company is telling us they can’t get a hold of the actual driver that hit the vehicle. Therefore we cannot get reimbursed for the damage on the car. I don’t have full coverage and I don’t know what to do at this point.

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The insurance company's opinion that they need the actual driver is just that: their opinon. It is not a legal or binding determination. Sue the car's owner for the damage: the owner of vehicle is liable for the damage done by people whom he lets use his car. If he let this person use the car this time, or has generally let the person use the car, so there is a pattern of the driver being able to take it, the owner will likely be liable. Only if the owner can prove in court that his roommate stole his car against his wishes will he not be liable--and to show that, he'd have to have filed a police  report for car theft, at a minimum.
You will also sue the driver as well, if you know his name (you obviously know his address)--he is liable too, for being at fault in damaging your car (it is negligent, or unreasonably careless, to run into a stationary object, like a parked car). The more people you sue, the greater the likelihood of recovering money. 
When you sue the driver and the owner, the owner's insurer may then step in to settle the case; but even if they don't for some reason, you can get the money from the driver and owner, if they have money or jobs whose wages you can garnish.
If the cost to repair your damage is less than the limit for small claims court, probably the best idea is to sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save on legal expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption