What to do fi my car was legally parked in front of my house when a fleeing teenager crashed into it and totaled it with a stolen vehicle?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do fi my car was legally parked in front of my house when a fleeing teenager crashed into it and totaled it with a stolen vehicle?

I didn’t have collision coverage on my car and the owner’s insurance is telling me they are not responsible because the car had been reported stolen two days prior to the accident. Is there anything that can be done? Is the insurance of the owner of the vehicle really not responsible for any of the damages? There were 6 cars that were damaged; 2 of them were ours and 1 was a total loss.

Asked on November 23, 2013 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should file a claim with both insurance companies and speak to an attorney about suing the other insurance company, your insurance company, the owner of the other car, the teenager and that teenager's parents. If a minor conducted this activity and it may appear the parents had previous notice, the parents are responsible for the actions of that minor.  Further, that decision can hold against that teeanger for quite a few years after he or she turns of age. Bottom line: it is not your fault. So your best bet now is to seek legal counsel and seek an individual on a contingency. You can also file a complaint with your state insurance agency to see if their regulatory authority can cover this matter without you having to hire counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption