My car was damaged while at the dealer for service

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My car was damaged while at the dealer for service

I left my car at the dealership to get the first scheduled service only having it for 4 months. A technician was driving my car through the parking lot and a lady backed out into my car, there is damage to my frame and suspension, the dealership says they are not at fault it was the ladies fault and she will have to pay for damages? I am upside down in my vehicle what do I do?

Asked on July 28, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The dealer is only liable (or responsible to pay) if their employee was at fault; if someone else was at fault (e.g. the woman who backed into your car), the dealership is not liable--but that woman likely is. You can sue the driver who hit your car for the cost to repair it, or if it cannot be economically repaired, for its then-current fair-market (or "blue book") value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption